Friday, March 13, 2009

Summer Concert Series

Every year, there are generally a few kick-ass concerts I want to go see, as well as the obligatory shit-fests like the Rock Star Mayhem Tour and Motley Crue's touring carnival of feces. This year is no different. Yesterday, as I was trolling Ticketmaster like Hugh Grant trolls Sunset Strip for some sweet hooker action, I counted at least 6 shows that I want to go to this summer. The highlights would have to be Depeche Mode at the Hollywood Bowl, 311, u2, No Doubt, NIN/Jane's Addiction, and the rumored Blink-182/Green Day double-headlining show that is guaranteed to make every punk rock girl's pants damp from New York to California.
Now, I have seen a few of these bands play throughout my illustrious concert career. The first concert I ever went to was No Doubt on their Tragic Kingdom tour, and I still have naughty dreams about that show. Awesome. I've seen 311 live around 7 times, and they are probably my favorite live act to go watch along with The Roots and Foo Fighters. Great energy.
The main band that has eluded me for years has always been Depeche Mode. For whatever reason, I just have not been able to score tickets for their concerts. It's always a different story, one year I'm broke, the next year tickets are sold out before I can get online. I feel like the guys on "Detroit Rock City" where they are trying to score tickets to the KISS show and are forced to shake their weewee's for money, only to get shut out of the show until they beat each other up and lie to the bouncer that they were mugged.
This year, I am proud to say, will be my year to foil Depeche Mode and their pesky legion of ticket buying fans. My wife has a friend who is in the fan club and he has promised to buy my tickets for me. Now, I can wear all the guy-liner I want to along with my black mesh shirt and leather pants and I will fit right in with the trannies and goth kids that always go to those shows! Score! Double score!
And for anyone out there that does NOT have an economy-related money shortage, do yourself a favor and fly to Chicago for Lollapalooza this summer. The line-up is insane and the headliners include the aforementioned Depeche Mode, along with Beastie Boys, Jane's Addiction and the Kings of Leon. I wish fucking Coachella had that cool of a roster!
At any rate, even if you only have money for one show, make an effort to go. You will never be sorry you went and you will always have a story to tell afterwards. Like that time I went to see Metallica and my friend crapped his pants at the bowling alley right before the show.
Just kidding!
No, I'm not.

El Rey

1 comment:

  1. "Now, I can wear all the guy-liner I want to along with my black mesh shirt and leather pants and I will fit right in with the trannies and goth kids that always go to those shows!" I would almost pay money to see that. Almost.

    ReplyDelete