Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Give it a second spin

Here is a scenario for you:
You buy/borrow/"acquire" a new album that you have been waiting to get for some time. You are delirously excited to hear these sweet new jams, however, upon listening to your new album, you suddenly have a feeling in your stomach that is very similar to the time you ate an entire batch of macaroni and cheese while downing four tallboys of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Upset and having vomited all of your macaroni on your new BAPE jacket, you fling the cd from your player and you angrily vow "never to listen to that son of a bitch piece of midget crap album ever again!" And this time you really mean it.
But that isn't really ever the end of it, is it?
No folks, this time I'm not talking about that crappy Len album you bought in high school because you heard one good song and were tricked into thinking the whole cd would be good.
I'm talking about those albums that you absolutely HATED the first time you listened to them, but for some absurd reason, months or even years later, you gave it a second chance and realized that maybe it wasn't so bad.
Everyone's done it. Hell, some of my favorite albums are "second spin" albums. Remember the "Pinkerton" album by Weezer? Man, I couldn't stand that cd the first time I listened to it! I told everyone within earshot (basically everyone I rode the schoolbus with) that it was the worst thing since herpes and that you would probably become sterile if you listened to it more than 3 times. Well, I am here to tell you that I was wrong on both counts. Not only was it, and still is, an excellent album, but you will also NOT become sterile if you listen to it. In fact, I'm pretty sure it had the exact opposite, Bebe's kids effect on me, if you know what I'm sayin'. You know what I'm talkin' about, you sneaky guys! Moving on..
What I am trying to say is that it may be worth your while to go through some of your old cd's that you may not have given a fair shake the first time around and try them again. Just for old time's sake. You may be surprised at what you find.
Shit, you might even like that Milli Vanilli cd you've got!
I know, I know, who am I kidding, right?
You ALWAYS liked that Milli Vanilli cd! First listen love! You sick bastards.

El Rey
P.S. And no, this does not in any way, shape, or form, mean that I now like the new U2 album. It still blows dogs for quarters. End of story.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't like Portishead when I first heard them, but now I think Dummy's one of the best albums I've ever heard. Same goes with OK Computer.

    Sadly, that Harvey Danger album purchased so many years ago still sucks ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like Harvey Danger. And no, I don't have a good argument on why.

    ReplyDelete